Introduction + What we’ve been watching + News (0:00)
- Grant shares his final thoughts on King of Braves GaoGaiGar and Lupin the Third Season 1 — be sure to check out his article on Lupin over at WMC.
- Aim for the Ace! (1979 Film) Trailer
- There’s a hot new trailer out for Blade of the Immortal, Takashi Miike’s one hundredth film!
- Shinichiro Watanabe’s new short Blade Runner Black Out 2022 is now streaming on crunchyroll.
Reader Email (29:55):
The space pirate Cobra with his android partner Lady cross the galaxy in search of thrills, treasure, and, yes, adventure! Cobra first appeared in Weekly Shonen Jump in 1978 and is old school space opera through and through, of the sort found in old pulps of yesteryear, with a dash of Barbarella, Bond, Star Wars, Westerns, and any bizarre idea creator Buichi Terasawa can come up with, thrown into the mix. The film version followed in 1982. Produced by Tokyo Movie Shinsha with the backing of the studio’s top talent, such as legendary director Osamu Dezaki, character designer and animation director Akio Sugino, and art director Shichiro Kobayashi, Space Adventure Cobra: The Movie is a kaleidoscopic, tripped out, wild and weird ride from start to finish, featuring some of Dezaki’s most satisfingly “out there” direction.
Twitter Questions (1:47:26)
- Space Adventure Cobra official Nozomi Youtube Stream | Crunchyroll | Trailer
- The UK movie intro with soundtrack by Yello
- The Japanese Movie Intro
- The classic Cobra TV opening sung by Yoko Maeno composed by Yuji Ohno
- Cobra: The Animation Trailer
- Lots of Dezaki stuff, including screen-caps and GIFs from Cobra TV, are over at my Tumblr page, Joy in 2-Dimensions.
- We reviewed Osamu Dezaki’s Golgo 13: The Professional way back on episode 3.
If you have questions or comments about the show, please feel free to shoot us an Email or leave a comment below.
Thanks for listening!